the history of music education site
newer books and articles
Return to Index
(2) Diane E. Peters. Canadian Music and Music Education: An Annotated Bibliography of Theses and Dissertations (Scarecrow Press, 1997). IBSN 0-8108-3275-5; $65.50. This book is a list of master's theses and dissertations with abstracts related to Canadian music completed mostly at U.S. and Canadian universities, though a few entries are from outside these two countries. There is a great emphasis on theses. The book helps fill in the gaps in Dissertation Abstracts for Canadian work. There are many entries on music education history. This book and others are listed online at the Scarecrow website at http://www.scarecrowpress.com/.
newer books in the history of music education
(4) Sondra Wieland Howe, Luther Whiting Mason: International Music Educator (Warren, Michigan: Harmonie Park Press, 1997). This work describes the work the most influential U.S. music educator in the late nineteenth century. Reviewed by William R. Lee in the History of Education Quarterly 39(Fall 1999): 352-354.
(5) Thomas E. Range and Sean Patrick Smith, The Penn State Blue Band: A Century of Pride and Precision (Pennsylvania State Universisty Press, 1999). ISBN: 0271019603).
(6) Terese M. Volk, Music, Education, and Multiculturalism: Foundations and Principles (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1997). Reviewed by Robin E. Liston in The Bulletin of Historical Research in Music Education 20(September 1998):68-71.
(7) George N. Heller, Charles Leonhard: American Music Educator (Metuchen, N.J.: The Scarecrow Press, Inc., 1995). Scarecrow Press, Inc. has a website.
(8) Harry E. Price, Editor, Music Education Research: An Anthology from the Journal of Research in Music Education (Reston, Va.: Music Educators National Conference, 1998). Contains reprints of six articles in the history of music education.
(9) Joseph A. Labuta and Deborah A. Smith, Music Education: Historical Contexts and Perspectives (Prentice-Hall, Inc., 1997). A textbook that is described at the following address: Click here.
other important books relating to the history of music education
(2) Fumiko Shiraishi, "Calvin Brainerd Cady: Thought and Feeling in the Study of Music." Journal of Research in Music Education 47 (Summer 1999):150-162. Cady was John Dewey's music teacher at the famous Chicago Laboratory School. Cady influenced Charles Farnsworth and others in his time.
(3) Richard J. Altenbaugh, Historical Dictionary of American Education (Westport, Connecticut: Greenwood Press, 1999). This contains several citations on music education: "Lowell Mason," by William R. Lee, "Music Education," by Hoyt F. LeCroy, and the "Music Educators National Conference," by Amy F. Rolleri.
(4) Philosophy of Music Review, Vol. 6, No. 2. Contents: "Historical Research in Music Education: Definitions and Defenses"--George Heller; "The Content of Music Education History? It's a Philosophical Question, Really"--Jere T. Humphreys; "Reconstructing the History of Music Education from a Feminist Perspective"--Sondra Wieland Howe; "Public Policy and the Genesis of Aesthetic Education"--Michael L. Mark; "Movement and Music Education: An Historian's Perspective"--Barbara Lewis; "In Memorium, Benarr Rainbow, Music Education Historian."
(5) Hoyt LeCroy, "Community-Based Music Education: Influences of Industrial Bands in the American South." Journal of Research in Music Education 46 (Summer 1998): 248-264.
(6) William R. Lee, "Music Education and Rural Reform: 1900-1925." Journal of Research in Music Education 45 (Summer 1997): 306-326.
(7) William R. Lee, "Lowell Mason, Samuel A. Worcester, and the Cherokee Singing Book." The Chronicles of Oklahoma 75 Spring 1997): 32-54.
documents and scholarly projects online
(2) Michael Hopkins, A Brief History of String Education in the United States. This is an excellent essay on the Univesity of Vermont site. It has a list of major historical figures in string education in the United States and a good bibliography. CLICK HERE., Document online.Downloadable!
(3) The Annals of the
College Music Society is online. CLICK
(4) Carolyn Livingston,
History of Music and Music Education in
Island Project. CLICK
(1) Ayling, Benjamin Charles, II, PhD, Encouragement of Barber Shop Quartet Singing in America, 1939—1963. THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY, 2000, 406 pages. PDF downloadable. Partially downloadable! See above.
(2) Brunelle, J. Christopher, Music education in a suburban Massachusetts school system: A history of the past; recommendations for the future. UNIVERSITY OF LOWELL, 2000, 424 pages. PDF downloadable. Partially downloadable! See above.
(3) Dennis, Pamela R., PhD Music in Jackson, Tennessee: 1875—1917. THE UNIVERSITY OF MEMPHIS, 2000, 361 pages. PDF downloadable. Partially downloadable! See above.
(4) Vaskov, James Michael, PhD. The musical education and matriculation of boy choristers at Canterbury Cathedral during the English Reformation period, 1549—1642. THE CLAREMONT GRADUATE UNIVERSITY, 2000, 294 pages. PDF downloadable. Partially downloadable! See above.
(5)Kim, Patricia Costa. Making Music Their Own: School Music, Community, and Standards of Excellence in Seattle, 1960-1975 (Washington). UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON, 1999.
(6) Al-Ramzi, Saqer M. The History, Development, and Curriculum of the Institute of Musical Studies and the Higher Institute of Musical Art in Kuwait. UNIVERSITY OF MIAMI, 1998.
(7) Christianson, Donald Gordon. The Life and Choral Techniques of Douglas Reeve McEwen: Conductor/Educator. ARIZONA STATE UNIVERSITY, 1998.
(8) Samuel, Christopher Bagby. A Biography of Warren Martin: Westminster Choir College's Professor Music. DMA ARIZONA STATE UNIVERSITY, 1998.
(9) Fiske, Jane Anne. A Profile of women Music Educators in Higher Education. DMA dissertation. BOSTON UNIVERSITY, 1998.
newer and helpful books in the history of education